We’ve made a lot of mai tais and know there are several “styles” of the classic cocktail. In celebration of our new mai tai glass pair, we’re sharing a recipe for what we’re calling a “vacation” mai tai.
What’s a vacation mai tai? It’s the perfectly sweet, very boozy, two-tone drink you enjoy by the pool or in a little beachfront bar. Because folks get really serious about their cocktails, we add the following disclaimer: This is not the original mai tai, this is just a fun variation we like.
As with most tiki creations, this is a strong drink. We remind you to drink responsibly and with Aloha.
- 1.5 ounces White Rum (preferred Koloa Rum Co. Kaua’i Hawaiian White Rum)
- Splash of Gold Rum (preferred Old Lahaina Premium Gold Rum)
- .5 ounces triple sec
- 2 to 3 ounces pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Dark rum to use as a float (preferred Whalers the Original Dark Rum or Trader Vic’s Dark Rum - something syrupy that will float well)
- Crushed or cubed ice
- Garnishes of choice (cherry, lime wedge, mint, paper parasol, etc.)
- Mix white and gold rum, triple sec, lime juice, and pineapple juice in a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Pour through the shaker strainer into a glass with fresh ice.
- Add dark rum float on top. Pro tip: Use a pour spout on the bottle to get a nice float that stays on the top of the drink.
- Garnish and enjoy!
Cheers & Aloha!